It really has been the best summer EVER! Not only have we enjoyed the best Indy has to offer and been on a fabulous vacation to Cape Ann, but we’ve done it all for the first time as a family of six.
It’s been amazing to share our beloved city with the boy. Our bonding time has been unbelievable, and now we’re excited to see how it all goes as the kids settle into new schools.
But first, it’s time for the grand finale of our amazing summer — the Indiana State Fair! The fair is August 2nd to August 18th this year and has everything a family needs, all in one awesome package. There’s food, fun, entertainment, and animals galore. Did I mention the food?
Let me break it down for you — here are 4 great reasons to cap off your summer at the Indiana State Fair:
- Food: There’s just nothing like fair food. Fried foods, elephant ears, funnel cakes… I’m partial to cotton candy, Dairy Bar milkshakes, and the pork tent. You guys, the pork tent. I am already salivating thinking of the BBQ pork. This is the Year of Popcorn, so I’m also crossing my fingers for some good popcorn balls. And don’t forget to check out the world’s largest popcorn ball in the all new Glass Barn.
- Fun: The midway is where it’s at, and we’ll be taking advantage of Kiddie Mondays with $15 wristbands good on all rides. New this year is a kiddie midway, featuring rides and activities for the younger set. Plus, I’m sure we’re coming home with another set of goldfish from the $5 game. My kids are freaky good at that stupid game; last year we had to buy 3 new tanks to host their 8 fish.
- Entertainment: There are concerts, events, and demonstrations at every turn. The demolition derby is probably my favorite — $5 admission to the Hoosier Park Grand Stand on August 18th. You’ll find tons of entertainment at Hoosier Park Grandstand, Dow Celebration Park, Marsh Free Stage, and DISH Main Street Stage. Check the entertainment schedule for daily events.
- Animals: Did you know there are calves born daily at the State Fair? Check out the livestock nursery, animal barns, and pony rides in the Fun Park. Last year we stumbled on baby chicks in the expo hall — adorable!
What’s your favorite part of the Indiana State Fair? Tell Family Fun in the City for a chance to win a family 4-pack of tickets to cap off your Best Summer EVER! To enter, simply leave us a comment here and share your favorite thing about the fair.
You can earn additional entries by:
- Subscribing to our site by RSS
- Following @JustHeather, @Gotchababy, and @IndyStateFair on Twitter
- Liking Family Fun in the City and Indiana State Fair on Facebook
- Sharing this giveaway on Twitter, Facebook or Pinterest. (Sample tweet: #Indy is celebrating the #BestSummerEVER with @IndyStateFair and Family Fun in the City! http://bit.ly/15b7u8d)
For your extra entries to be counted, be sure to leave an additional comment directing us to your entry. Only one additional entry per method (i.e. While multiple tweets are appreciated it, only one will count as a drawing entry.) The contest runs until 8/2/13 at 11:59pm est. One winner will be notified by email on 8/3/13 and receive a family 4-pack of tickets to The Indiana State Fair. Winner will have 24 hours to claim their tickets or a new winner will be chosen.
Indiana State Fair Details:
|Admission: $10 adults and children; 5 and under FREE; discount tickets available at Indiana Walmart stores, CVS/pharmacies, Indiana Farm Bureau, The Marten House Hotel.|
|Hours: Sunday – Thursday: 8 am – 11 pm; Friday: 8 am – 12 midnight; Saturday: 8 am – 12:30 am|
|1202 E 38th Street, Indianapolis IN 46205|
The Family Fun in the City crew was provided with Indiana State Fair tickets to facilitate this post, but all opinions are 100% mine.